Black Bean Chili Con Carne
- lb ground beef
- 2 s oil
- 4 meum onions chopped coarsely
- 1 can 4.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 can 1oz. black beans, almost drained
- 2 heaping s chili powder or to taste (hot or mild, cook’s choice)
- 1/2 tsp orego
- 1/2 tsp garlicowder
- Salt and freshlyround pepper to taste
- Optional: Cayenne pper to taste if needed to augment mild chili powder
- In a large skillet over moderate heat, heat oil and sauté the onion till it starts to get golden. Add the beef, breaking it up, and cook till it starts to brown. Add the tomatoes with their juice, and the beans with just a bit of their juice.
- Add the remaining ingredients, lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook about an hour. Check periodically that the liquid is not all evaporating; add water if necessary. Taste it and adjust seasonings if needed.
- If it’s too liquidy at the end, remove the lid and cook perhaps 10 minutes longer, or till the liquid level is as you want it. Serves 3.