This recipe was contributed by Cynthia from cynthiamacgregor.com.
Servings: 4 people
- lb ground beef
- 4 rm flat-bottomed, large green peppers
- 3 ca (8 oz. eactomato sauce
- 1 Tbs rcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 tsbasil
- 1-1/2 tsp egano
- Salt and frely ground pepper
- 4 cloves garli squeezed through a garlic press divided
- 3/4 cup cooked re
- 1 medium onion chped medium
- Preheat oven to 350°Slice off the tops of the green peppers and scoop out seeds and ribs from inside. Place upright in a large pot with enough water to cover and simmer just till no longer totally firm. Do not overcook. You don’t want the peppers falling apart or becoming mushy, simply softened a bit. Place them in a baking pan or a large casserole
- In a bowl, put the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste, as well as about 1/4 of the crushed garlic. Mix well.
- In another bowl, put the meat and rice and mix. Add 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce mixture, the remainder of the garlic, and the onion. Knead it all together till it’s well mixed. Now fill the four peppers with the meat mixture; if there is enough of the meat mixture, mound it above the tops of the peppers.
- Pour the remaining tomato sauce mixture on top of the stuffed peppers and into the casserole or baking dish surrounding the peppers.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 50-55 minutes. Serves 4.