This post contains affiliate links. Affiliate disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com and other Amazon websites.
Poor Man's Stew
This recipe was contributed by Cynthia (Cyn) MacGregor from cynthiamacgregor.com.
- lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- Optial: 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 6-8 potoes redskins are nice here, but most any kind will do, cut in bite-sized chunks (peeled or unpeeled, cook’s choice)
- 2 14.5 cans whole corn kernels, including liquid (or 3 cups frozen)
- Garlic saland fresh-ground pepper to taste
- Optional: 1-Tbs Kitchen Bouquet this is a caramel liquid coloring agent
- In a large nonstick Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat, brown ground beef.
- Season it with garlic salt and fresh-ground pepper as you start to brown it, and break it up as it browns. Do not drain.
- Add onions and optional mushrooms to pot and sauté them with meat for about 5 minutes. Add potato chunks and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add corn (including liquiand add enough water to cover ingredients.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat so stew is just simmering. Optionally add Kitchen Bouquet.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Serves 4-6.